Perfectionism is created by the belief that if you can do everything perfectly, and look perfect, you won’t have to experience the pain of judgement, blame and shame. Perfectionists aren’t perfect people, they’re people who feel ashamed that they’re not perfect.
The beliefs that create the perfectionist mindset run deep, which is why catchy reminders like “done is better than perfect” don’t tend to change behaviour at a fundamental level. Our human need to avoid the painful emotion of shame can override even our deepest desires and causes us to get in our own way.
Growing out of perfectionism requires a willingness to feel vulnerable. Alongside that, I’ve found that one of the most effective ways to evolve out of perfectionism is to focus on creating a growth mindset.
In this episode, I’m going to be sharing exactly what that is, how to create it and the biggest mistakes that perfectionists make when it comes to creating a growth mindset. I hope you find it helpful!
In This Episode You’ll Learn:
- What the growth mindset is and isn’t, and how it can help you achieve your goals
- Practical things you can do to create a growth mindset
- Why you need to have a growth mindset about creating a growth mindset
- Why detaching from the end result will actually allow you to achieve more
Featured In The Episode:
- My 1:1 coaching services
- Get Out Of Your Own Way – join the waitlist here
- Episode 45: 10 Signs You’re A Perfectionist
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Carol Dweck interviewed by Tom Bilyeu
- Carol Dweck on Perfectionism
- Episode 59: Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Growth mindset examples in podcast interviews: Aisha Tyler on The Tim Ferriss Show, Katrin Davidsdottir on The School of Greatness, Ellen Bennett on Second Life, Tyler Hanley on Second Life
- Second Life podcast
- Losing My Virginity by Richard Branson
- Episode 57: 7 Differences Between High Achievers and Perfectionists
- Episode 41: My Fitness Journey + How I Created A Growth Mindset
Listen To The Episode
Listen to the episode on the player above, click here to download the episode and take it with you or listen anywhere you normally listen to podcasts – just find Episode 100 of The Perfectionism Project Podcast!
Subscribe To The Perfectionism Project Podcast