Despite it now being my day job to talk about perfectionism, it was only a few years ago that I actually realised I was a perfectionist! There are so many misconceptions around perfectionism that until my mid-twenties, I thought I wasn’t perfect enough to be a perfectionist. And because I didn’t realise I was a perfectionist, I felt like I was the only one struggling with procrastination, crippling self-doubt, overthinking and being all-or-nothing.
Realising that I’m a perfectionist gave me a whole new vocabulary that has allowed me to change my life for the better – because it’s only when you realise you’re a perfectionist that you become empowered to overcome perfectionism.
In this episode, I’m opening up about my journey with perfectionism and the important points along the way. I can’t remember everything but I hope that what I share in this episode helps you understand yourself a little bit more.
In This Episode You’ll Learn:
- Why I didn’t think I was a perfectionist until I was in my mid-twenties
- The most common misconceptions about perfectionism
- The childhood experience that I made mean I wasn’t good enough
- Why it’s not necessary to dissect your past in order to overcome perfectionism
- What caused my perfectionist tendencies to begin causing problems
- The most important teachers on my personal development journey
Featured In The Episode:
- Perfectionists Getting Shit Done – our membership community
- Mindset by Carol Dweck
- Carol Dweck interview with Tom Bilyeu
- Episode 22: How Personal Development Helped Me Overcome Self-Doubt
- Episode 45: 10 Signs You’re A Perfectionist
- Episode 57: 7 Differences Between Perfectionists + High Achievers
- Episode 59: Daring Greatly by Brené Brown
- Episode 118: Thoughts That Create A Growth Mindset
- Episode 135: 7 Signs You Have A Fixed Mindset
- Episode 158: 5 Life-Changing Lessons About Perfectionism From Brené Brown
Listen To The Episode
Listen to the episode on the player above, click here to download the episode and take it with you or listen anywhere you normally listen to podcasts – just find Episode 162 of The Perfectionism Project Podcast!
Subscribe To The Perfectionism Project Podcast
Join us in Perfectionists Getting Shit Done
If you enjoy listening to this podcast, I highly recommend checking out our membership community Perfectionists Getting Shit Done.
When you join our global community of recovering perfectionists, you’ll get instant access to our ever-growing library of personal development tools designed to help you beat procrastination, overcome perfectionism and become your best self – it includes masterclasses, coaching calls, journaling exercises, workbooks, meditations and more.
And you’ll have the option to learn everything on the go with easy mobile access. Plus with judgement-free support from our beautiful community every step along the way, you’ll never have to feel alone again. It’s time to create the success you deserve.
Join our membership community today at samlaurabrown.com/membership.